- "I know that everything happens for a reason. I believe that. I also know that when one door closes another one opens."
- —Patty Halliwell[src]
Patricia Halliwell (also known as Patty; April 5, 1950 – June, 1978) was a witch and daughter of Allen and Penelope Halliwell (née Johnson). She developed her power of molecular immobilization when she was a teenager, and later married Victor Bennet, though she did not tell him her true identity until after they had had two children; Prue and Piper.
After Patty told Victor, he left the family for a while, neither of them aware that Patty was pregnant with a third child until Nicholas forced her to bless a ring to grant him immunity from their daughters' powers. Once Phoebe was born, Penny bound the girls' powers. However, shortly afterwards, Patty had an affair with Sam Wilder, her whitelighter, and they had a daughter, who they gave up, after Patty and Victor divorced. Shortly afterwards, Patty was killed trying to destroy the Water Demon.
Patricia Halliwell was born on April 5, 1950 to Allen and Penelope Halliwell (née Johnson), two peace-lovers and a mortal and witch respectively, and was named in keeping with her family's tradition of naming their children with the letter "P". She grew up at her ancestral home of 1329 Prescott Street, also known as Halliwell Manor, and had an ordinary, non-magical education as opposed to going to Magic School.
At Patty's wiccaning, Armand, a demon with whom Penny had been having an affair with, attacked, wanting to absorb the spirits of the Warren family's matriarchs. His plan was foiled when Penny banished him back to the Astral Plane. She was capable of casting spells at an early age. As a child, Penny would, apparently, use her small, black spellbook to keep her in line. However, at the age of nine, Patty invented a reversal spell, albeit one with bad grammar, to counter her mother's spells.
- "Of course, Patty couldn't tell anyone, even Mandy, that her mom was a witch. That might mean, among other things, explaining how being a witch was passed from mother to daughter, and how she, herself, was a witch, and was well on her way to developing her own powers, powers she wasn't sure she wanted."
- —Patty at age sixteen.[src]
During her teenage years, Patty came to question her heritage and was unsure of whether or not she wanted to come into her powers. When she fell in love with a demon disguised as a mortal, Hugh Stenstrom, she found herself wanting to give up magic entirely. However, after she and Penny vanquished Hugh's demon mother, Stella, she changed her mind.
When Patty came into her powers in her mid-teenage years, she developed the active power of molecular immobilization, enabling her to seemingly stop time. Also at this age, she and her friend, Mandy, whose house was a while away from hers, often talked about boys and how Patty thought her mother was weird. She changed this view after the Stenstrom ordeal.
- Penny: "How many times do I have to tell you: Spells are not to be used for personal gain."
- Patty: "And I say, what good is having the ability to cast spells if you can't use them to help your friends?"
- — Patty arguing with her mother.[src]
As a teenager, Patty used spells for her own personal gain several times, her mother telling her off for it every time. On one occasion, she cast a spell to help out a friend of hers, which started an argument between her and Penny, as she believed that she should be allowed to use magic in those circumstances.
- Penny: "Where's Patty?"
- Allen: "I dropped her off at my sister's, she's gonna crash there tonight."
- — Patty's parents.[src]
At the age of seventeen, on January 13, 1967, Allen took Patty to sleep over at his sister's house while he and Penny held a magical be-in at the Manor. This was presumably because Patty disliked Wiccan festivals and events, such as the Beltane Ball.
While Patty was there, the warlock Nigel tried to kill all the witches and whitelighters in the Manor. Aware of this, Penny evacuated them all and, in a rage, Nigel tried to kill her. However, Allen jumped in the way of his fire ball and was killed, leaving Patty without a father.
Early years as a witchEdit
As a witch, Patty fought and vanquished several demons. She wrote the entry on Barbas, the Demon of Fear, in the Book of Shadows, as well as a page entitled On The Place of Magic In The Rearing of a Child, which urged witches not to use magic on children. It was presumably based on her own childhood, as Penny apparently used spells on her as a child.
- Penny: "You know it was doomed from the start. You never even took his last name."
- Patty: "You wouldn't let me."
- Penny: "Well, that's beside the point."
- — Penny and Patty talking.[src]
In the 1950s or '60s, Patty met and fell in love with the mortal businessman Victor Bennet. Her mother disapproved of their relationship, saying that it was doomed from the start. Patty did not tell him that she was a witch.
The two married, Patty being twenty years old at the most and Victor being one year younger. At her wedding, Patty wore her hair lightly-curled. They kept a wedding album from that day, and, although Patty wanted to become "Patricia Bennet", her mother would not allow her to take his last name. For protection, Patty gave Victor a 17th century ring which protected against magic and spells.
In late 1969 or early 1970, Patty became pregnant with Victor's child. She gave birth on October 28, 1970, to a baby girl. She was named "Prudence Halliwell", after her ancestor, Prudence Wentworth.
Patty and her new family lived at Halliwell Manor, while Penny moved out somewhere quite a distance away. Victor provided for the family, and they lived happily together. However, between late 1970 and mid-1973, Patty told her husband that her mother and her were witches, and that their children would also be ones. This put a strain on their marriage.
On June 7, 1973, Patty gave birth to a second daughter, Piper. Penny and Victor often fought over how they thought the girls should be raised; Penny wanting them to be raised as witches and Victor wanting them to be given a normal life. Patty agreed with her mother, but still asked Penny why she could not bake cookies with the girls instead of teaching them new spells.
- Victor: "What's the matter? Why didn't she freeze?"
- Patty: "I don't know."
- Future-Piper: "Probably because I'm your daughter."
- — Patty and Victor meeting future-Piper.[src]
In February or March, 1975, Patty and Victor had sex in their bedroom. Shortly afterwards, while still in bed, a man and woman appeared in the room. Immediately believing they were demons, Patty tried to freeze them, but only the man froze. The woman then told her and Victor that she was Piper from the far future, and that the man was her husband, Leo Wyatt.
They then revealed that Phoebe and Paige, Patty's unborn daughters, had been killed in a huge battle and that they used a cupid's ring to travel back in time to save them. Patty, believing the ring to be unreliable, came up with the theory that they could recreate the Charmed Ones and the Power of Three by combining her magic with future-Piper's and her mother's. With the Power of Three, they would then cast a spell to take future-Piper and Leo to exactly where they wanted to go. But instead of driving all the way to Penny's home, she asked if the ring could take them to her and left Victor behind.
- Elderly Piper: "You keep using the ring; focus on who you want to go to with our heart, not with your head."
- Elderly Leo: "That way you'll get to your Grams, and then to Phoebe and Paige."
- Patty: "But what do we do when we get there? How do we save them?"
- Elderly Piper: "You get rid of the Hollow together."
- — Patty and the elderly Piper and Leo.[src]
However, future-Piper was not specific enough when she asked to go to "Grams" (the sisters' nickname for her) and the three of them ended up in the future, where Leo and her were grandparents.
Afterwards, they arrived succesfully at Penny, but she fainted upon seeing Patty, who had died already in her time, a fact which caused Patty great distress and annoyance. The four of them then arrived at the Ultimate Battle, where they used the relinquishing spell to remove the Hollow from future-Phoebe, Paige, Billie and Christy Jenkins and the other future-Piper. Leo was then taken away by a female Angel of Destiny, as the Ultimate Battle did not take place.
Then, Patty's future-grandsons, Wyatt and Christopher, arrived from yet another time, saying that Wyatt's powers had been stolen due to the changes they made in the continuum. Patty then went with Chris and Wyatt to future-Victor's apartment, so she could see her husband and her grandsons could check on their past-selves. She was then astonished when she was told by Victor that they were divorced, and that she apparently left him for Sam. Regardless, they caught up and had fun taking care of little-Chris and Wyatt, although she was deeply saddened when he told her that Prue had been killed by Shax several years before.
- Future-Victor: "Thank you for coming by."
- Patty: "Anytime."
- — Patty before leaving.[src]
When they returned to Halliwell Manor, Patty and Penny were taken back to their own times by Coop, though just before they were taken, so they would have no memories of the events. Therefore, Patty had no knowledge of conceiving Phoebe, and went on to believe that it was impossible for her to have more children.
Returned to 1975 with no memory of time-travelling, Patty began spending more time with Sam, presumably because of her mother and Victor constantly arguing over how the girls should be raised. Victor, irritated by his constant involvement in their lives and with magic in general, left the family out of frustration for a few months.
While at work in March, Patty had a premonition. Confused, she called her mother and told her what she had seen; three women apparently kidnapping Prue and Piper. She later met Prue and Piper from the future, who told her that they knew that she was pregnant and that they were cousins from out of town. She told them that she could not be pregnant due to medical reasons.
Not long after, Patty went to a hotel, believing that Victor was there after receiving a note apparently written by him. Inside the hotel room, the warlock Nicholas revealed that he tricked her into coming, and that she was the mother of the Charmed Ones. He then forced her to bless his ring with immunity from her daughters' powers in exchange for their lives.
She proceeded to bail out the "warlocks" that she saw in her premonition, who had been arrested for kidnapping little Prue and Piper, after they revealed their true identities. Patty realised that she must have named her youngest daughter, Phoebe, after her favourite aunt.
Returning to Halliwell Manor, they planned to unbless the ring and then send the sisters back to their time. After stealing the ring, they utilised the Power of Three through little Prue and Piper and the unborn baby Phoebe to send the future sisters home. They then proceeded to unbless and return the ring.
Victor returned and third childEdit
- Patty: "Your road's been the longest, Phoebe. But I was never worried about you. You know why? Because I had a premonition the day you were born."
- Phoebe: "You did?"
- Piper: "What did you see?"
- Patty: "Oh, I saw this. I saw this moment right now, my three daughters standing before me as beautiful young women and I knew that everything would be okay."
- Phoebe: "What did you see next?"
- Patty: "I held you."
- — Patty telling her daughters about her premonition.[src]
On November 2, 1975, Patty went into labour and, inside Halliwell Manor, gave birth to her third daughter, Phoebe. That day, she received a premonition of her with her three daughters as adults hugging, with Piper wearing a wedding dress.
Whether before or after Phoebe's birth, Victor returned to the family, a fact which did not bring joy to Penny, though there was now a good source of income for the household. Although her husband had returned and the family was better financially, Patty had fallen in love with Sam during her separation from Victor, and had an affair with him.
At an uncertain time, Victor was in charge of taking pictures at Prue's piano recital, as Patty was too busy holding her breath. He took at least one photo, which was kept on a table in the parlour. Another time, the family planned to go on a picnic, but it rained, so Patty packed up all the stuff, took it home and they ate the picnic on the floor in the parlour instead. It was also noted that, at the age of four, Piper would eat only white food, which presumably made it difficult for Patty to feed her.
Affair with Sam and divorceEdit
At some point in early 1977, Victor saved Prue from the Nothing inside the Ice Cream Man's truck after she was accidentally pulled in. As magic had nearly harmed their daughter again, Victor argued with Patty and Penny, demanding they be raised as mortals.
Shortly after that, Patty and Victor divorced, with her openly declaring her love for Sam, who Victor believed was the reason for their divorce and held him in contempt. Prue watched her father as he left the house for the final time.
On August 2, 1977, Patty gave birth, in secret, to the baby girl that Sam fathered. The two of them initially wanted to keep the baby and raise it as their own. However, Penny feared that the Elders would strip Prue, Piper and Phoebe's powers as punishment, and convinced Patty to keep the baby's birth a secret from them. Sam also came to that same decision, but did so because he wanted her to have a normal life.
- Agnes: "They came in a swirl of bright white lights just like, angels."
- Paige Matthews: "White lights. What do you mean?"
- Agnes: "Well, that's how they appeared, with you in their arms! I was stunned. I - I didn't know what to think. They said that you were in great danger, that they had no other choice but to give you up, to protect you."
- Paige Matthews: "Danger? What kind of danger?"
- Agnes: "Well, they didn't say. But I could tell from their pain that it must be very real. They asked me to find you a good home, a safe home, and to keep their secret... until you came looking."
- — Agnes speaking with Patty and Sam's daughter.[src]
Therefore, to protect their youngest daughter from both sides of magic, Patty and Sam orbed to a local church, where they gave the baby to Sister Agnes, saying that she was in danger. She asked her to give her a safe home, with the single request that her name begin with a "P". Patty gave Sister Agnes a blanket to keep until her daughter came looking, and asked her to protect their secret.
Relationship with SamEdit
After Patty and Sam revealed their relationship, the Elders gave Sam a considerable amount of other charges, keeping him away from Patty for a very long time. The two corresponded with each other through letters.
One night, Sam had to leave Patty abruptly, presumably because the Elders were calling him or because a charge required his assistance. Patty wrote him a letter, telling him that she understood why he had to go, but that she longed to have a normal relationship with him, uninterrupted by his whitelighter duties.
Two weeks later, Patty sent another letter to him, asking where he was, what he was doing, and when he would be back in San Fransisco to be with her. After he replied, she sent another letter telling him that what he said in his letter was clear, but that she still wanted to be with him despite the difficulties.
- "Dear Sam, You can't be with me up at the lake. This demon is too strong and I can't risk losing you, not for myself or the others you protect. They must-as always-come first. You know I'd never face this demon if I didn't think I'd be home in time for dinner. To see my girls. To see you. So trust me, and be there tonight when I get home. Love, Patty"
- —Patty's last letter to Sam.[src]
Around the time she sent that letter, Patty learnt of the Water Demon in the lake at Camp Skylark that had drowned several people that year. Sam sent a letter telling her that he wanted to be there when she went to vanquish it, but, in June, she sent a reply telling him that he could not be there, that she was going to be fine, and for him to be at the Manor that evening when she got back.
As she picked up the cables, she heard Sam arrive, shouting at her to get off the dock as the Water Demon prepared to strike. Patty froze him to keep him safe, a decision which cost her life as she turned around and the demon entered her body, drowning her from the inside.
- Penny: "Damn wind keeps blowing out my candles. I'm sorry, Patty, I got cut off. It's just what troubles me about your daughters is not where they came from, it's where they're going."
- Patty: "It's just a phase. When their destiny's revealed, they'll come together."
- Penny: "But what if they don't? What if they never do? What if the gift is too much for them to handle and they...? Well, regardless, I fear there may be only one option if I can't find a way to bring these girls together."
- Patty: "Mother, that's nonsense."
- — Patty after being summoned by Penny.[src]
In 1998, Penny summoned Patty and told her that she thought she ought to strip the sisters' powers, as they did not seem ready for them and were always fighting amongst themselves. Patty disagreed, but Penny made the power-stripping potion anyway and planned to give it to the girls. However, she had a heart attack and fell down the stairs. She died and joined Patty in the afterlife.
In 1999, the sisters went up against Barbas. He tried to kill Prue using her fear of drowning, which stemmed from her mother's death. Patty, as a spirit, appeared to her in the water and saved her, after helping her overcome her fear.
- Sam: "I did what I've been waiting to do, I kept it from happening. History won't repeat itself."
- Phoebe: "But you're going."
- Sam: "I'm gonna see Patty again."
- — The dying Sam before rejoining with Patty.[src]
About a year or so afterwards, the sisters managed to vanquish the Water Demon that had killed Patty using the method she planned to use; the electric clamps. Sam sacrificed himself in order to bring the demon's downfall, and was happy to do so, as he was going to be with Patty again. She arrived, visible only to him, and escorted him to the Beyond. Unfortunately, Sam did not find peace with her, as he was made a Whitelighter again instead.
- "After all the Elders put you and Leo through, they wanted to give you something back, so, so they sent me down, just for your wedding day. You know, I think I wore my hair like this for my wedding day."
- —Patty after appearing to Piper.[src]
In 2001, Patty was sent down by the Elders for the wedding of Piper and Leo Wyatt, her Whitelighter, to make up for all that they put the couple through. It could be said that Patty was temporarily resurrected for that day, as she was not a spirit, just simply Piper's mother, and they had her hair styled as it was on her wedding day.
She appeared in Piper's bedroom, where she told Piper why and how she was there, and, when Prue and Phoebe entered the room, told them about the premonition she had the day Phoebe was born. They then proceeded downstairs, where Penny, acting as the High Priestess, began the ceremony. However, a man arrived on a motorbike, calling for Prue, who astral projected against her will and ran off with him, ruining the wedding.
Piper, devastated, left the Manor and headed for P3, where Patty and Victor, who was best-man at the Handfasting, followed her. Patty then tried to tell her that she was destined to be with Leo, but she firmly believed that, after Penny's first husband's death, three failed marriages and six engagements, as well as Patty's divorce, that all Halliwells were destined to be alone.
After returning to the Manor, Penny reappeared and said that the Elders had sent her to take Patty back, but Phoebe told her that she had five more minutes until midnight. At nearly the last second, Piper also returned, and the wedding went ahead, after which Patty went back to the afterlife.
On May 17, 2001, Prue was murdered by the demon Shax, the personal assassin of the Source of All Evil. When her spirit was sent to the Beyond, Patty and her mother worked hard to get her through her death and adjusting to the afterlife.
A while after, Piper summoned Penny to question her as to why the Source thought that the Charmed Circle could be reconstituted. After refusing to tell her due to her pact of secrecy, Patty appeared and told her and Phoebe about her fourth daughter, who was part-witch, part-whitelighter.
Not long after telling them the story, an inspector named Cortez arrived in the attic and, upon seeing Patty and Penny as ghosts, threatened to have them exposed. Once Penny and Phoebe had sent the inspector to Timbuktu, Patty and her mother returned to the Beyond, leaving the rest up to them.
- "Piper, I know why you've been so afraid. You don't want to leave your baby the way I left you. But spells won't make that fear go away, only faith will. Have faith that your destiny is different than mine. Take my hand, sweetie."
- —Patty before saving Piper from her death by drowning.[src]
In 2001, Piper became pregnant with her first child, who she assumed to be a daughter and was to be named "Prudence Melinda Halliwell". Patty, who had presumably been "peeking" from the Beyond or had been told by the Elders, knew about the child.
A year after meeting Paige, Patty appeared as a spirit to Piper as she was drowning, just as she had done to Prue about four years previously. As Piper was under the influence of a Fearless Spell to help her cope with her pregnancy side-effects, Patty told her that spells wouldn't help and that only faith would. She also acknowledged that she was afraid of leaving her child like Patty had to her, before saving her from her death.
Afterwards, as Piper went through her baby book and came across a picture of her being read a book by her mother, Patty magically wrote a caption on the page just as how she had done when writing a message to Prue through the Demon of Fear page in the Book of Shadows. She wrote, for Piper's child, the words; Grandma and Mommy.
- "We have to reverse the siblings spell and get the girls back to being adults so that they can vanquish this thing. Whoever it is."
- —Patty arguing Victor's case against her mother.[src]
Two years after, Penny, who had previously been brought to earth by Phoebe and Paige, summoned Patty. She found out that her mother had cast the Spell to Resolve Sibling Rivalry on Wyatt and Chris, Piper's sons, though it had actually transferred the rivalry to the sisters instead.
Believing that Leo was after Wyatt, after seeing an evil doppelganger of him, did not want to reverse the spell as Piper would be devastated at the news that Leo was after her son. Victor, however, who had arrived for Chris's wiccaning, wanted to break the spell so that they could vanquish the evil-Leo. Patty, who was summoned in order to act as a third party, agreed with Victor, causing Penny to feel un-needed and left.
Patty then, using the reversal spell she had written when she was nine, reversed the spell and got them to go after the demon-Leo. After realising that Wyatt had conjured the demon as a way of blaming himself for his parents' split, just as Piper had had bad dreams called night terrors, they managed to erase demon-Leo and return Wyatt to the Manor.
After wondering what it would have been like if she and Victor had been able to raise the girls, Penny returned and, as a High Priestess, performed Chris's wiccaning, after which she and Patty left for the afterlife.
Battle of the Upper RegionsEdit
After Neena launched an attack on the Upper Regions, Paige temporarily "died" and assembled the Warren family in the Beyond, preparing for battle. After hearing an explosion, Penny opened the gates and the witches, including Patty, charge into battle.
Along with the rest of the family, Patty later helped bind Neena's powers. Afterwards, Piper asked Penny why Prue could not join the battle. Though initially evasive, Patty urged her to tell them, and she proceeded to tell them that Prue had been resurrected as a stranger to them because she had not fulfilled her destiny before her death.
Patty was described by her daughters as "beautiful". She had white skin, brown hair and brown eyes, which were inherited by Prue, while Piper was said to resemble her the most. On her wedding day, her hair was a lighter, blonde-brown colour and was lightly curled.
During her life, Patty often wore colourful and complicated fashions, but opted for simpler, light-coloured clothes while in the Beyond. She often wore a sandalwood-scented perfume, and smelt like burgers after coming home from working at Buddy's Diner.
Personality and traitsEdit
Patty was very intelligent, able to write an entire page of the Book of Shadows on Barbas, the Demon of Fear, come up with the theory to recreate the Power of Three by combining three Halliwell generations, and knowing to vanquish the Water Demon by seperating it's particles using a power cable. The material she wrote on the Barbas page also shows her intelligence, as she refers to astronomical convergences in astrological charts.
She was also very kind and dedicated to her family, though not afraid to stick up for what she thought was right. Patty would listen to her mother's wise advise always, but would disagree with her if she thought she was wrong, such as when she planned to strip the girls' powers, or when she did not want to reverse the Spell to Resolve Sibling Rivalry.
Magical powers and abilitiesEdit
- Freezing: Patty's one and only active power was the ability to freeze. Her power was channelled through her hands, and by doing a flick of her hand(s) could slow down molecules to the point of them almost stopping. This power, which was also possessed by her grandmother, P. Baxter, was passed down to her second daughter, Piper.
- Spell casting: As a magical witch, Patty possessed the power to write and cast spells. She had particular skill in this field, as she was able to create spells to counter her mother at the age of only nine-years old, though the grammar was quite incorrect.
- Potion making: Another basic power that Patty possessed was the ability to brew and design magical potions. It is unknown what potions she made, though it is likely that vanquishing potions was among them, and if she had half the skill that her mother had then she was a very good potion maker.
- Scrying: The ability to use a pendulum and a map to locate a lost object or person, scrying, is a power possessed by all witches, Patty among them.
- White-light teleporting: As a ghost, Patty possessed the power to teleport through white-lights. This power, much like orbing, surrounded her in swirling white lights, until she vanished and appeared elsewhere. It appears that every ghost of a witch is granted this power upon death, possibly by the Elders.
- Projection: Patty used some form of projection to write a message to Prue on the Barbas page of the Book of Shadows from the Beyond, and later a note beneath a picture of her and Piper in a baby book.
- Premonition: When Patty was pregnant with her third child, Phoebe Halliwell, she received visions from her unborn baby's power. Two such visions were when she saw her daughters from the future taking her present children from the Manor, and when she saw her on Piper's wedding day before Phoebe's birth.
- Ring: Patty had a silver ring while she was alive, which the sisters kept for years after her death to remind them of her. Piper eventually gave the ring to Leo, so he could give it back at the perfect romantic moment. Unfortunately, he lost it because of all his orbing around, but, thanks to a Lost-and-Found Spell cast by Phoebe, the ring was recovered. It was later used as Piper's wedding ring after her Handfasting.
- Love letters: Patty sent various letters to Sam while they were a couple and he was away with other charges. Sam kept them long after her death in his shed at Camp Skylark.
- Spirit board: Patty owned a spirit board during her life, and engraved it with a message to her daughters some time before her death. The board was later inherited by Phoebe.
- Halliwell Book of Shadows: Just as all other Warren witches inherited the family's Book of Shadows, Penny passed it down to Patty. She wrote a few new pages for the tome, including an entire page on the Demon of Fear, Barbas, and an article titled "On The Place Of Magic In The Rearing of a Child", which was apparently based on her childhood.
- Halliwell Manor: Patty inherited the family house on Prescott Street from her mother, who moved away to another home while Patty lived there with Victor Bennet. However, Penny moved back in to help out after Victor left her, and lent her car to her. After Patty's death, the Manor went back to her mother, who apparently lived there a while with Victor, who returned to look after the girls.
Patty was born to a thirteen year old Penny Johnson and a twenty year old Allen Halliwell. As a child, Penny would use spells on her to keep her in line, while teaching her the ways of magic and witchcraft. Her father died when she was seventeen, which presumably brought her great distress, though she still had her mother. Penny was very kind and loving to Patty, helping her whenever she needed her, and even moving in with her to help out after Victor's departure and lending her car to her. Patty was respectful and just as caring towards her mother, though not afraid to disagree with her upon occasion. She was also very grateful for Penny, as she raised the sisters as her own.
- "Honestly, I look back at those days as the best of my life. I loved your mother, she was the best thing that ever happened to me until the three of you came along."
- —Victor speaking with the sisters.[src]
Patty met Victor Bennet at an unknown time, presumably in the sixties. The two fell madly in love and married, though Penny forbade Patty to change her last name to "Bennet". They had their first child after their marriage, and they named her "Prue Halliwell", not Bennet, likely because of Penny again. Though the couple were extremely happy together, Victor left her and their two daughters (Prue and Piper) after learning of magic, though he later returned. Despite loving Victor, she later had an affair with her Whitelighter, Samuel Wilder, after much arguing about the sisters' futures with Victor. They soon divorced, though they made up after Patty died and saw him several times as a ghost. However, Victor held a huge grudge towards Sam and Whitelighters in general from the divorce onwards.
- Patty: "Oh, Prue. It's been so hard on you, unfair."
- Prue: "Yeah... no, it doesn't matter. I just wanted to make you proud."
- Patty: "You protected this family better than I could. I'm so proud of you."
- — Patty speaking with Prue before Piper's wedding to Leo.[src]
Patty's first child was a daughter who she named Prudence "Prue" Halliwell. She loved her very much, and was very proud of her, as she was unable to take photos of her at her piano recital because she was too busy holding her breath. Also, she would kiss Prue goodnight whenever she came home from Buddy's late at night, and smelt of burgers. It was Prue who was most affected by Patty's death, as the last thing she had heard her mother say was "I love you", rendering her unable to say it to anyone else. Patty saved Prue from drowning after an attack by Barbas, and later told her that she thanked her for letting her sisters into her heart by finally telling them that she loved them. When Patty returned to earth for Piper's wedding, she told Prue of how proud she was of her and how well she had taken care of her sisters. After Prue died, Patty and Penny helped her adjust to "living" in the Beyond away from her sisters, and had to help her through that emotional time.
- "I always thought you'd be the first to get married. You're the heart of this family, Piper."
- —Patty speaking with Piper before her wedding.[src]
Patty's second daughter with Victor Bennet was named "Piper Halliwell". Piper inherited her mother's looks, as well as her power to freeze, and several individuals said that the two were very alike. Patty made a baby book for her, which contained a picture of her reading a book to her in the conservatory. After Patty's death, Piper was very upset, though did not have quite as many memories as Prue did, and was so not quite as affected. Many years later, Patty was temporarily ressurected by the Elders for Piper's wedding to Leo Wyatt, and persuaded her to continue with the ceremony after Prue and a man named T.J spoilt the Handfasting. Roughly a year and a half later, Patty saved her from drowning after her vanquishing of Necron, a Skeletal Being, and told her that she should have faith that she would not leave her child as she left her. She later attended her youngest grandson's wiccaning and helped solve the mystery of her eldest grandson's kidnap.
- Patty: "And you, my baby, you feel it all, don't you? I was never there to comfort you. I died before you even knew me."
- Phoebe: "Some nights I just wanted you to hold me."
- Patty: "Your road's been the longest, Phoebe. But I was never worried about you."
- — Patty speaking with Phoebe.[src]
Patty's third and final daughter with Victor was named "Phoebe Halliwell", after her favourite aunt, Phoebe. While she was pregnant with her, she had a premonition, which came from unborn Phoebe's power. In fact, the day she gave birth to her, she had a premonition of her hugging her three daughters as young women, which made her not worry about Phoebe. Unfortunately, she was killed by the Water Demon before her and Phoebe got to know each other, which left her daughter no memories of her after her death. When she returned to life for Piper's wedding day, she told Phoebe about the premonition, and that she thought her road was the hardest, not having remembered her mother or father. Thankfully, they did get the chance to know each other a little when Phoebe and her sisters time-travelled to the 1970s, and the few times that Patty arrived to them as a ghost.
- —Patty meeting her long lost daughter in disbelief.[src]
Patty had a fourth child to Samuel Wilder, her whitelighter, which meant she had to give up her daughter to avoid repercussions by the Elders. Sam and Patty took their newborn child to a local church, where a nun there called Agnes took her to the Mark and Helen Matthews. The girl was named Paige Matthews, as Patty had requested her name begin with the letter "p", like all Halliwells. After Prue's death, Patty told Piper and Phoebe, aswell as Leo and Cole, about Paige and later welcomed her to the family. They later developed a relationship afterwards, as Patty visited several times as a ghost, such as during Chris' wiccaning.
- Season One
- Season Two
- Season Three
- Season Four
- Season Five
- Season Seven
- Cheaper by the Coven (Appeared as a ghost/spirit)
- Season Eight
- Forever Charmed (From another time)
- Volume Three
- The Charmed Offensive (Appeared as a ghost/spirit)
- Charmed (novels)
Behind the scenesEdit
- Patty was portrayed by Alyssa Milano in Thank You For Not Morphing, an uncredited actress in From Fear To Eternity, and Finola Hughes from then on.
- As both Prue and Piper were said to have inherited their mother's looks, it is ironic that it was Phoebe's actress that first portrayed her.
- In the whole series there were only two occasions where we see Patty use her freezing power. The first was in P3 H2O when Phoebe saw her use the ability to keep Sam out of harms way in a premonition. The second was when Piper and Leo went back to 1975 in Forever Charmed, Patty mistook the two for demons and tried to freeze them, but only froze Leo. This implies that Patty's power worked in the same way that Piper's did and therefore couldn't freeze good witches.
- At first, it was thought that Patty was drowned by a warlock, when, in reality, it was the Water Demon. Whether the Halliwell sisters were misinformed or just assumed is unknown.