Josephine Bennet (or "Jo")
Red (naturally brown; formerly blonde)
Being able to use magic without consequence
Paige Matthews (b. August 2, 1977) was the half-whitelighter daughter of Sam Wilder and Patty Halliwell, and younger half-sister to Prue, Piper and Phoebe Halliwell. Fearing repercussions for their tryst, Sam and Patty gave Paige up for adoption, and she was taken in by Matthews and his wife. In 1994, her adoptive parents died in a motoring accident, Paige herself being saved by her otherwise latent orbing power.
Searching for her biological parents, Paige came to suspect that Patty Halliwell was her mother and that the Halliwell sisters were her half-siblings, though she dismissed this because of Patty's death in 1978. After Prue's death, Paige suspicions were confirmed, and she joined her half-sisters and reconstituted the Power of Three. Paige resigned from South Bay Social Services in order to focus on witchcraft, and later became headmistress of Magic School for several months to prevent the Elders from closing it. Though she handed the job over to her brother-in-law, Paige went on to work there as a consultant and recruiter for new students, as well as a visiting lecturer on magic.
Her duties as a whitelighter led her to meet Henry Mitchell, with whom she fell in love and married. The two had twins, named Kat and Tamora, and took in the son of Christopher Mercer, naming him Henry Jr.
- "Well, that's how they appeared, with you in their arms! I was stunned. I - I didn't know what to think. They said that you were in great danger, that they had no other choice but to give you up, to protect you. [...] They asked me to find you a good home, a safe home, and to keep their secret... until you came looking."
Paige was born on August 2, 1977 to Sam Wilder and Patty Halliwell. Due to the potential ramifications of a relationship between a whitelighter and his witch charge, Penny Halliwell persuaded the two to give the baby up, fearing that Prue, Piper and Phoebe would be denied their powers should the forbidden relationship be made apparent. However, Sam's reason for wanting to give Paige up was that he wanted her to have a normal life away from magic and demons that her half-sisters would later be exposed to.
Sam orbed himself, Patty and their baby to a church nearby, where they gave her to Agnes, asking her to find a good home for her, as well as to keep their secret until the day Paige returned seeking the truth. They also asked that her name begin with the letter "P", as part of the Halliwell naming tradition.
Paige was adopted by Matthews and his wife, who respected Sam and Patty's wish regarding her first initial. Her adoptive grandmother, who she was very close to, taught her lessons about ethics and values without using fairy tales. Paige did, however, remember the story of her past life, the Evil Enchantress, and believed it to be a fairy tale. She also had an Uncle Dave and Aunt Julie.
- "So I wasn't the ideal high school student, you know. I, um, skipped classes, partied all night with my friends. Pretty much anything they wanted to do I was up for."
Paige was a rebellious youth. She attended Robinson Royce High School where she frequently skipped classes, started fights, brought alcohol and smoked, being willing to do anything that her friends were up for. Her parents were aware of her smoking habit and she later claimed that she had given it up in addition to giving up drinking, which proved not to be true when her father had to pick her up from a party after she passed out. She once got behind the wheel of a car drunk with her friends and caused an accident. Looking back on her teenage years, Paige described herself as having been cruel, particularly to her parents. Although her parents wanted her to go to college, she once told them that she refused.
One of Paige's friends at high school was Michelle Miglis. Her first love was Philip Lewicky, who gave her a necklace. She also began dating her best friend Glen a number of times during high school, although it never worked out and they would return to being friends.
- "I don't drink. I used to have kind of a problem with certain liquids. Lots of problems, actually, but that's all behind me."
Following her parents' deaths, Paige decided to straighten out her act, although for some time she was angry at them for dying. She quit smoking and drinking and began to take her education seriously. She achieved high test-scores and was able to attend Berkeley as a result, although helped by a powerful essay on her parents' deaths. She graduated with a degree in Social Work. She went looking for her biological parents and, after inquiring with the police, found the church that she was left at. She came to believe that she might have been the daughter of Patty Halliwell, but after learning that she was dead she decided to drop that line of inquiry.
Paige was employed as Bob Cowan's assistant at South Bay Social Services, living in an apartment with a parrot named Oscar and receiving visits from Kit. She believed that Cowan refused to promote her to social worker because of monetary reasons. She had particularly strong feelings towards cases of parental child abuse and attempted to involve herself in them to Cowan's annoyance. On her way to get coffee every morning, she passed a house that gave her a shiver and she once bumped into its resident, Finn, in the grocery store, where they flirted.
Despite deciding not to approach the Halliwell sisters, Paige began to frequent P3 in 2000 in order to feel close to them. She dated Shane for a month, although she didn't tell him about her alcoholism or that she was adopted for some time.
Meeting the HalliwellsEdit
Learning the craftEdit
Mistrust of ColeEdit
Queen Phoebe and aftermathEdit
As a full-time witchEdit
Post-Cole and becoming an auntEdit
Return of the TitansEdit
As Chris's chargeEdit
Relationship with RichardEdit
Helping Chris and protecting WyattEdit
As headmistress of Magic SchoolEdit
Rise of ZankouEdit
Brief life as a BennettEdit
Love and marriageEdit
The Ultimate BattleEdit
Building a familyEdit
Fighting the Old OnesEdit
Personality and traitsEdit
Health and medicalEdit
Magical powers and skillsEdit
- "And if you have a sixth sense for locating good, is it possible that I have one for locating evil?"
- —Paige to Leo[src]
Before being a Charmed One, Paige found herself experiencing a shiver whenever she passed Gammill's house. She later theorised that she had the power to sense evil in contrast with a whitelighter's power to sense good. She was also capable of sensing other whitelighters, being able to sense that Leo was in trouble and orb to his location.
- "Be me. You can glamour. You've done it before."
- —Phoebe to Paige[src]
Paige was able to glamour years before her sisters were, noting that it was one of her whitelighter powers. She used it to disguise herself as Jessica to marry Glen, Flo to stop Stewick's harassment, Phoebe to cover for her, a blonde woman to trick Mitchell Haines into using his powers, a number of disguises while pretending to be dead, Janice Dickinson to mourn at her funeral and Billie to save Nick Edwards. Initially her transformation looked like shapeshifting, but it later began producing white orbs just as her sisters' would.
- "Lights! I'm doing that right now."
- —Paige on the lights[src]
Paige had the power to hover with the assistance of orbs. A dream version of herself displayed it while looking for enlightenment, and she later used it in real life while doing the same thing on the Golden Gate Bridge under the influence of Dumain.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Paige was played by Rose McGowan.
Notes and references Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Paige Matthews: I've probably changed a little bit since you last saw me on August 2nd, 1977. (Charmed Again, Part 2)
- ↑ Patty Halliwell: We didn't tell anybody because we were afraid that there would be reprisals, afraid that, you girls would be denied your powers, your birthright. [...] So, that's why we had to - why we decided... to give the baby up. (Charmed Again, Part 1)
- ↑ Sam Wilder: All I wanted was a life for her, free from magic and demons. (Sam, I Am)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: Okay, that's my point. I already had a Grams. One I really, really loved and yes, technically we're related and you're my grandmother too. I guess it just feels a little odd because I don't know you. / Penny Halliwell: I understand and I wouldn't dream of trying to replace someone as special to you as that. (Happily Ever After)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: Well, my grandmother taught me values just fine without big wolves devouring little girls. (Happily Ever After)
- ↑ A Knight to Remember
- ↑ Paige Matthews: Uh, Uncle Dave, I gotta go. I'll call you back, okay? Yeah, I love you too. (Charmed Again, Part 2)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: So, how's Aunt Julie? Yeah? Oh. Is her hip any better? (Charmed Again, Part 2)
- ↑ Wendy: Hey, Becca, I thought we nixed the clown idea. / Piper Halliwell: Oh, no, relax, that's just one of Paige's old toys, Slappy. (Sand Francisco Dreamin')
- ↑ Paige Matthews: You can trust Glen. He's been my friend since, God, kindergarten. (Trial by Magic)
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Paige Matthews: He's not my boyfriend. Sometimes he's my boyfriend, but mostly he's just my really good friend. (Trial by Magic)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Paige Matthews: Yeah, kinda been hanging out on and off since high school, you know. (House Call)
- ↑ Principal Harris: Cutting classes, starting fights, smoking on campus, possession of alcohol. (A Paige from the Past)
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Paige Matthews: So I wasn't the ideal high school student, you know. I, um, skipped classes, partied all night with my friends. Pretty much anything they wanted to do I was up for. [...] I was cruel. Especially to my mom and dad. The day they died I told them they weren't my real parents, which is stupid because it wasn't even how I felt. I mean, just because I'm adopted it didn't mean they weren't my real parents, because they were. (A Paige from the Past)
- ↑ Mrs Matthews: She told me she'd quit smoking. / Mr Matthews: Oh, yeah, right, just like the time she quit drinking. She passes out at another one of those parties and I had to go pick her up and bring her home. (A Paige from the Past)
- ↑ Fear Always Comes Back
- ↑ Mrs Matthews: Oh, well, haven't you heard? She's not going to college. (A Paige from the Past)
- ↑ A Paige from the Past
- ↑ Paige Matthews: Oh, Philip Lewicky gave this to me. My first love. Can I call him? (A Paige from the Past)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: When my parents died, I hated them for it. I was alone and I hated them. (Hell Hath No Fury)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: So much for how well you know me cowboy. I don't drink. I used to have kind of a problem with certain liquids. Lots of problems, actually, but that's all behind me. (Charmed Again, Part 1)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: I-I get a degree in social work, I help others, I even get into Berkley thanks to high test scores and a powerful essay on the death of my... ooh, let's just say a powerful essay. (A Paige from the Past)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: So my sad story is that I'm adopted, only it's not so sad because I loved my parents, God rest. So after they died, I went searching for my birth mother, hoping to get some answers. I went to the police, found the church I got dumped at... I checked around. I figured she must've lived near here, you know? I even thought I might've been related to the Halliwell sisters for a minute, but their mom died a long time ago, so I gave up on that. (Charmed Again, Part 1)
- ↑ Charmed Again, Part 2
- ↑ Paige Matthews: It's funny. She's so familiar to me, though. It reminds me of this old stray that used to hang outside my loft. (Cat House)
- ↑ Bob Cowan: You are an assistant, not a social worker. / Paige Matthews: That's because you're too cheap to make me one. (Charmed Again, Part 2)
- ↑ Bob Cowan: Look, Paige, I know how you feel about these cases, but we can't make a decision based on what you think. (Charmed Again, Part 2)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: Okay, have you guys ever walked by a house and just, uh, got a really bad creepy feeling from it? Okay, on my way to get coffee every morning I walk by this house and I get... this shiver. (Size Matters)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: Just that this cute guy named Finn lives there. We bumped into each other at the grocery store. Flirted a little. Done the are these melons ripe thing. (Size Matters)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: Well, one of the sisters owns it, so... I don't know. I guess I just kind of feel... connected somehow. That's why I went to the funeral today. I just felt like I had to. (Charmed Again, Part 1)
- ↑ Charmed Again, Part 1
- ↑ Paige Matthews: And if you have a sixth sense for locating good, is it possible that I have one for locating evil? / Leo Wyatt: You think you sensed evil? / Paige Matthews: I know it sounds silly, but there’s this house that I walk by and I get this really bad feeling from. (Size Matters)
- ↑ Piper Halliwell: You're half-whitelighter, see if you can sense him. / Paige Matthews: Sense him? I've never done that before. / Piper Halliwell: Well, try now. / Paige Matthews: [Pause] I think he's in trouble. (Saving Private Leo)
- ↑ Paige Matthews: Because I'm going to get married, thanks to my whitelighter powers. (House Call)
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 House Call
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 Forget Me... Not
- ↑ Show Ghouls
- ↑ Freaky Phoebe
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 Something Wicca This Way Goes...?
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 Still Charmed and Kicking
- ↑ Payback's a Witch
- ↑ Repo Manor
- ↑ The Jung and the Restless
- ↑ Gone with the Witches